Thursday, November 17, 2005

One Step Closer

I just got back from Human Resources, where they accepted my application to put Lisa on my health and dental insurance, as a result of the excellent collective bargaining agreement our union brought us.

Yes, it's only "domestic partner" benefits, but it's recognition of our relationship in some form and, as I've said before, we must learn to walk before we can run.

We were required to provide one form of proof of cohabitation for more than one year -- I submitted our Vermont Civil Union certificate from 2001.

We were required to provide two forms of proof of financial interdependence so we submitted a joint credit card statement (with both our names) and our registration for our antique truck, which also has both our names.

Sitting in the wings I had a car insurance bill with both our names on it, as well as mutual health care proxies drawn up earlier this year (after the Terri Schiavo incident), our Affidavit of Marriage from New Paltz in 2004, our marriage license from Canada in 2004, a copy of our home equity line of credit (joint) from 2002, and proof that we are both beneficiaries for each others' life insurance policies. There was no way they were going to tell me I didn't have the right documentation.

So now the question remains as to how they're going to report this for tax purposes. I have what's called a "sponsor" plan, with me and my son only on it. Adding Lisa will make it a family plan so, as was confirmed by the HR representative, the taxable amount should only be on the difference between the sponsor and family plan cost, or $4.80 per pay period from me and $55.24 from my employer. This would mean that I will pay "income" tax on $1561.04 annually.

If our marriage was recognized like any heterosexual's marriage, we would not pay that tax. This is just one of many reasons why we (the LGBT community) want civil marriage. We are not treated equally and domestic partner benefits only further the "separate but equal" mentality.

But for now, I'll take what I can get. But I'm not going to do it quietly...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat-
I can not imagine what it is like to have to fight for rights that are automatic to so many. I was just recently married to a wonderful man and I am very happy to tell everyone he is my husband. I've never walked a mile in your shoes, but I'd like to apologize for the heterosexuals that have made your life even more difficult just because the person you have found to share your life with is female. You both deserve better than that and so does your son. - KT

Pat said...

Thanks, KT.

Those sentiments are appreciated more than you could ever know.

If the world was full of folks like you, I suppose there wouldn't be any need for my blog at all, would there.

Or, my blog would have a different title.

Holly said...

I completely understand the frustration in the 'partial granting of benefits.'
My partner and I entered into a civil union in the State of Connecticut as soon as it was legal. Unfortunately, it opens a conundrum of issues regarding health insurance, income taxes, estate and gift taxes, marital rights across state lines, etc.
The result is that we are married under state law, so we must file single and separate federal tax returns, prepare fake federal tax returns jointly, use the joint federal amount on our state return, sigh. It also complicates the health insurance issue, is our benefit package under state or federal law? And confuses any legal rights if we travel out of state and something happens.
It is a step forward to have the rights we are granted, but the progress in this becoming full marriage equality in akin to "running through tar" so far.